Connecting artists with audiences
Victoria Arts Council exists to support artists at all levels of their engagement. We provide opportunities for artists and audiences to connect through exhibitions, performances, readings, publications, and educational programmes.
VALUES & PRINCIPLES
In working with our members, partners, and the community in general, the Victoria Arts Council is guided by the following principles.
We strive for an organization that is:
The VAC core activities are three-fold:
- The production of exhibitions in our main gallery and throughout the CRD at our ten community satellite venues
- A monthly lecture series as part of the international network, CREATIVE MORNINGS
- The publication of our quarterly digital magazine, UNTIL
Through these platforms the VAC works with approximately 300 artists annually for an estimated audience of 2,000,000.
What We Do
- Provide exhibition opportunities to artists of all disciplines and skill levels in a variety of venues;
- Coordinate large-scale community-based and juried art exhibitions throughout the year;
- Celebrate the performing arts by supporting concerts, dance and theatre events;
- Host professional development events, including workshops, speakers series and lectures tailored to artists and creative individuals;
- Coordinate artist residencies;
- Participate in or support community events and festivals in numerous ways;
- Provide advocacy to arts groups and individual artists in order to help them grow;
- Promote VAC and member programs/events through print and online materials.
Since 1968, the Victoria Arts Council (formerly the Community Arts Council of Greater Victoria) has served the public as a charitable, non-profit, community arts organization. The VAC has grown from 60 members to approximately 600 members since its inception. We continue to serve the Victoria community through the generous support of the BC Arts Council, the CRD, the Province of British Columbia, the City of Victoria, and through our affiliations with numerous community partners and sponsors. The Victoria Arts Council remains strong and active with a mandate to provide advocacy through leadership, partnership, and community involvement; and to increase and broaden public awareness and opportunities in the arts and cultural activities.