Specific Dates: May 25 – 28, 2018
Location: The Atrium Building (800 Yates Street)
Do you know a young burgeoning artist? Send them our way! Youth Art Now is a new youth component of our annual juried fine arts show, Art Victoria Now!
Youth Art Now will showcase 3 works by emerging artists at Art Victoria Now alongside the other unique, professional works chosen for the exhibition. Each of the 3 youth artists work chosen, will receive a $500 cash prize to be put towards art education, as well as a feature about their artistic impetus and practice.
Artists ages 15-19 in the Greater Victoria region (including Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Sidney and Westshore) can submit up to 3 works for online adjudication in any media category (2-D, 3-D, or Photography) at no charge. Youth will receive a complimentary Victoria Arts Council membership for their submission. Submission guidelines and online form can be found below.
EXHIBITION DATES: May 25 – 28, 2018
EXHIBITION LOCATION: The Atrium Building (800 Yates Street)
DEADLINE FOR ONLINE SUBMISSION: Friday, April 19, 2018 at 5:00pm
All artwork is to be submitted for adjudication through our online application.
Please volunteer your time to assist with the show. Contact us at email@example.com if you are interested.
2D – all media on board, canvas or paper excluding reproductions or giclées (see below). All works must be professionally presented.
3D – three-dimensional or sculptural work of any material(s) including unique hand-crafted objects such as jewellery, glass works, metalwork, woodcraft and ceramics, etc.
Photography – both traditional and digital methods.
PLEASE NOTE: It is up to the artist’s discretion to choose the category of their work. Each individual work may only be submitted to one category.
- Up to 3 pieces per artist will be accepted for adjudication (diptychs and triptychs are considered one piece, but must be within maximum size dimensions for single entry)
- Maximum size for 2-D work is 36”h x 36”w (up to 9 square feet) and for 3-D up to 8’ in height. If you are entering heavy work you must be available to provide assistance in moving it in and out of the venue
- Artwork must be original work of the artist not previously shown in a juried fine arts show in Greater Victoria (Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Sidney and the Westshore)
- All entries must be available for sale at a minimum price of $300
- Photography both traditional and digital methods will be accepted. Please include information on specific photographic and development techniques and whether the image was digitally manipulated.
- Digital and photographic prints, engravings, lithographs and etchings are accepted for adjudication in limited editions of not more than 15. All such work must be identified with the total number of editions of the piece available plus the method of producing the work. None of the editions should have been sold prior to the show.
- Computer generated artwork must be entirely original to the artist
- Reproductions, giclees and copies will not be accepted
- If any work is in violation of the above guidelines or contravenes copyright laws, the VAC retains the right to remove it from the show
- Use plain or graded backgrounds
- Must be clearly focused, well-lit and properly exposed
- Artists may be asked to submit new pictures if images are of poor quality
- All images MUST give as close a representation of the work as possible in terms of colour and detail
- Artwork that does not conform to submission image quality may be refused
Number of Images:
- Up to two images for each 2-D or photographic submission
- Up to three images for each 3-D submission
- Maximum 4MB
- In jpg format
INFORMATION TO INCLUDE WITH SUBMISSION
Contact Information: All contact information must be up to date and accurate. The artist’s name, telephone number and email will appear in the show catalogue.
Category: Media categories include: 2-D, 3-D, and Photography (refer to media categories above). Artwork may be re-categorized prior to adjudication.
Medium and Substrate: A brief explanation of the primary artistic materials (i.e. oil, acrylic, watercolour, etc.) and the substrate or base materials, if any (i.e. canvas, steel, wood panel, rice paper, silk, etc).
Dimensions: Measurements of the artwork in inches (height by width), in two or three dimensions, as appropriate.
Price: All artwork submitted may put up for sale, but is not a necessity for the youth component. Artists are asked to consider the following when setting their price:
- Cost of materials
- Framing or other professional presentation costs
Please note: the VAC does not add tax to the retail price of the work, we ask that you price your work accordingly if you collect tax on your art sales.
Optional description: Artists may give an optional 25 word description of their artwork to give jurors insight into the artistic process and techniques used. This information will appear with the artwork during exhibition.
Opening Reception: TBD