Date: May 25 – 28, 2018
Location: The Atrium Building (800 Yates Street)
This is a juried show open to artists residing (including part-time residents) in Greater Victoria (including Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Sidney and the Westshore). This show is open to artists of all levels, Victoria Arts Council (VAC) membership not required to enter, and adjudication of works is free to all applicants. Hanging fees for accepted works are $10/piece for VAC members and $25/piece for non-members. All entries must be original creations not shown in another juried fine art show in the Greater Victoria area. There will be cash prizes awarded for exceptional works in each category as well as a People’s Choice Award (2-D, 3-D, Photography).
If you are an artist between the ages of 15-19, please visit our YOUTH ART NOW application page.
EXHIBITION DATES: May 25 – 28, 2018
EXHIBITION LOCATION: The Atrium Building (800 Yates Street)
DEADLINE FOR ONLINE SUBMISSION: Friday, April 20, 2018 at 5:00pm
Barbara Adams, Oak Bay Artist Laureate
Nicole Stanbridge, Curator of Engagement, Art Gallery of Greater Victoria
Kegan McFadden, Executive Director, Open Space
Shawn Shepherd, Professional Artist and Former Curator/Co-Owner: Polychrome Fine Art
All artwork is to be submitted for adjudication through our online application. Artists will be charged a 25% commission on art sales which includes all transaction fees.
Please volunteer your time to assist with the show. Please contact us at email@example.com if you are interested.
2-D – all media on board, canvas or paper excluding reproductions or giclees (see below). All works must be professionally presented.
3-D – three-dimensional or sculptural work of any material(s) including unique hand-crafted art objects such as jewellery, glass works, metalwork, up-cycle crafters, multi-media, woodcraft and ceramics, etc.
Photography – both traditional and digital methods.
PLEASE NOTE: It is up to the artist’s discretion to choose the category of their work. Each individual work may only be submitted to one category.
- Up to 3 pieces per artist will be accepted for adjudication (diptychs and triptychs are considered one piece, but must be within maximum size dimensions for single entry)
- Maximum size for 2-D work is 36”h x 36”w (up to 9 square feet) and for 3-D up to 8’ in height. If you are entering heavy work you must be available to provide assistance in moving it in and out of the venue (NOTE: if you would like to submit 2D work larger than 36″x36″ please email firstname.lastname@example.org, we may be able to accommodate your work depending on availability of larger wall panels)
- Artwork must be original work of the artist not previously shown in a juried fine arts show in Greater Victoria (Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Sidney and the Westshore)
- All entries must be available for sale at a minimum price of $300
- Photography both traditional and digital methods will be accepted. Please include information on specific photographic and development techniques and whether the image was digitally manipulated.
- Digital and photographic prints, engravings, lithographs and etchings are accepted for adjudication in limited editions of not more than 15. All such work must be identified with the total number of editions of the piece available plus the method of producing the work. None of the editions should have been sold prior to the show.
- Computer generated artwork must be entirely original to the artist
- Reproductions, giclees and copies will not be accepted
- If any work is in violation of the above guidelines or contravenes copyright laws, the VAC retains the right to remove it from the show
- Use plain or graded backgrounds
- Must be clearly focused, well-lit and properly exposed
- Artists may be asked to submit new pictures if images are of poor quality
- All images MUST give as close a representation of the work as possible in terms of colour and detail
- Artwork that does not conform to submission image quality may be refused
Number of Images:
- Up to two images for each 2-D or photographic submission
- Up to three images for each 3-D submission
- Maximum 4MB
- In jpg format
INFORMATION TO INCLUDE WITH SUBMISSION
Contact Information: All contact information must be up to date and accurate. The artist’s name, telephone number, and email will appear in the show catalogue.
Category: Media categories include: 2-D, 3-D, and photography (refer to media categories above). Artwork may be re-categorized prior to adjudication.
Medium and Substrate: A brief explanation of the primary artistic materials (i.e. oil, acrylic, watercolour, etc.) and the substrate or base materials, if any (i.e. canvas, steel, wood panel, rice paper, silk, etc).
Dimensions: Measurements of the artwork in inches (height by width), in two or three dimensions, as appropriate.
Price: The retail (sale) price of the artwork must be a minimum of $300. All artwork submitted must be available for sale. Please note: the VAC does not add tax to the retail price of the work, we ask that you price your work accordingly if you collect tax on your art sales. Artists are asked to consider the following when setting their price:
- Cost of materials
- Framing or other professional presentation costs
- Submission and exhibition fees
- 25% commission rate
Optional description: Artists may give an optional 25 word description of their artwork to give jurors insight into the artistic process and techniques used. This information will appear with the artwork during exhibition.
Opening Reception: TBD
Sorry! Deadline for online submissions was 2018-04-20 17:00